Friday, August 17, 2012

Weird Eating and (Hakuna) Frittatas in Muffin Pan


I have an annoyingly high-maintenance body, especially when it comes to eating. Because my maternal grandfather has diabetes, just about everyone on that side of the family has some issues with low blood sugar, and I am no exception. People who hang around me long enough know to ignore my crankiness, impatience, faintness, and overall inability to act like a human being when it's been a while since I've had a meal. (I'm like the hypoglycemic Hulk: you won't like me when I'm hungry.) Not only that, but for some reason (maybe I'm "blessed" with high metabolism), I get full after eating only about half of any meal, and become hungry again in no time. So, instead of eating the typical 3 big meals a day, I eat about 6-7 "mini meals" a day. Needless to say, these little quirks in my eating habits can be incredibly frustrating to deal with, so I'm always looking for new tricks to lessen my weird dietary issues.

Recently, my mom has been experimenting with her diet, and she mentioned that something that makes our metabolism more stable throughout the day is eating some protein first thing in the morning. So I started eating hardboiled eggs in the morning and found it actually has made a big difference. But hardboiled eggs day after day can get a little boring/icky, and I was on the lookout for a more interesting way to satisfy this new morning protein requirement.

Meanwhile, I had my first frittata ever only a few weeks ago, at one of my favorite little neighborhood places, Elmwood Cafe. Not being the biggest egg fan, I was surprised at how much I loved the taste. And I realized that, since you could add anything you want to them, frittatas wouldn't get boring as quickly as some other meals. Right then and there, I knew that frittatas could be the answer to my both my dietary problems and my pickiness. It could mean no diet worries for the rest of my day. So I decided to try to make (Hakuna) Frittatas.

(Ok, I can't resist putting this clip in here...that little pun reminds me one of my favorite moments of the television show Louie. Louis C.K. has an intense hangover after a crazy night and tries to get some coffee amid people of my generation, and he just can't deal with them. [For the record, I can't either.] You guys all need a break from reading, right? P.S. not safe for children/work/sensitive ears if you watch before the part that I've linked to.)



Anyways, this morning, I finally got around to try make some basil and garlic potato frittatas, and due to both equipment restrictions (toaster-oven only) and creative, I decided bake them in a muffin pan, using this recipe as a guide. They turned out delicious! Here's a visual recipe for you all to follow at home:

Ingredients:

1 red potato, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6-7 basil leaves, sliced
4 eggs
1/4 cup of milk (I used non-fat, you can use whatever you fancy)
olive oil
salt & pepper

Steps:








So there you have it. A dietary-problem-free breakfast that happens to also be rather simple to make, convenient to keep, and tasty to eat. Rejoice, fellow weird eaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear reader,

Thanks so much for taking a look at my blog and thanks in advance for taking the time to tell me what you think! Each and every one of your comments is cherished and appreciated!

lots of love,

Briana