Saturday, July 21, 2012

Keep on (Food) Truckin'


Lately, the unstructured nature of the whole looking-for-a-job, recent graduate lifestyle has got me in a bit of a funk. (Or maybe it's just the summertime blues.) Whatever it is, on Thursday, it left me in the mood for something new and delicious for dinner, but not in the mood to figure out the details. Luckily I remembered an article I had read earlier in the week about the newly launched Off the Grid near Haste and Telegraph in Berkeley, about three blocks away from where I live. I was craving an easy, delicious dinner on the cheap, and it was the perfect option.


So Ben and I made our way over. After surveying the trucks and their menus, we eventually decided on Koja Kitchen, which specializes in Japanese-Korean fusion food. Of the many the trucks there that night, it had the longest line, but the Kamikaze Combo we ordered was well worth the wait. It included your choice of one "Koja" (aka entre) and something called Kamikaze fries, basically fries covered in bulgogi, onions, kimchi, red sauce and Japanese mayo. For our "Koja," we chose mouth-watering bulgogi with onions, lettuce, red sauce all sandwiched between these amazing rice buns. I liked both dishes, but the Koja definitely stood out as my favorite. This little rice patty sandwich gave you all the wonderful flavors of Korean food in a fun, easy-to-eat package, and was just all around incredible. If you run across this truck, I can not recommend getting this enough. (I'm seriously getting hungry just thinking about it. And I just ate!)


After eating dinner, we pondered whether we should get dessert for about a whole two seconds before we were goners. I had been eyeing the Crème Brûlée Cart all evening and had heard a passerby make mention of a strawberry and nutella flavored version of the classic dessert, so I knew exactly where to go and what to order. That flavor was called "The Yes Please!," which I thought was an adorable name (not to mention fitting, since I couldn't get enough of the stuff). I tried to savor every bite of the tiny cup, but before I knew it, it was gone. Ben also ordered one; he got the Cafe Mocha, which unsurprisingly had a coffee and chocolate twist. This was also pretty darn tasty, though it paled in comparison to the Yes Please! Still, the crème brûlée made for an indulgent and delicious end to our meal.

There's always a little bit of risk involved when you go with the flow, especially when you want a meal that will wow you. Fortunately, our night was a success. We had great eats and I successfully avoided having to be proactive about making adventurous dinner plans. Win, win. More photos from the experience below:













2 comments:

  1. So jealous! The food looks amazing! Wish I'd had a chance to hit up Off the Grid before I left Berkeley.


    Step into Estherina's World

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader,

Thanks so much for taking a look at my blog and thanks in advance for taking the time to tell me what you think! Each and every one of your comments is cherished and appreciated!

lots of love,

Briana